Tuesday, December 29, 2009

How to calculate Brokerage fee for newbies........??


Greenleaf // December 28, 2009 9:33:00 PM GMT+08:00


Hi hng and horse,

Now, I understand why you mention buy high, sell low. Currently, I am holding BJTOTO which I bought at 4.28 and buy again at 4.2 cost average to become 4.22. I think that this is the way you mentioned, buy high sell low. :) Now, I have made some profit but I will not sell it yet because I think it will rise more again.
For the tax claim back, I have not done it because I really lazy to go to open the account and take the money. Because the money is quite little, I think not more than RM20 because last time, I buy very little amount of stock to try my trading techniques. So, I will claim it when I start working around June or July 2010 if I manage to graduate properly. :)
Thanks for the great guide. I am a bit confused about the fees and charges, if I buy at high price(eg: 4.28) and I buy again at low price(eg: 4.2), how to calculate the total fees and charges?


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


How to calculate Brokerage fee for newbies effectively ........??

Greenleaf, i suggest you to setup a table (spreadsheet) to calculate your brokerage fee and as a measure to your profit and loss or breakeven point for a particular stock that you purchase. This will give you exactly how much is your intraday or normal (T+1 onward) profit/loss.

Normal online brokerage is 0.4% (T+1 onward) negotiable and 0.1% for intraday.

Lets take 0.4% for your example and assuming you buy 1000units each on 4.28 & 4.2 respectively. Both transactions on the same day. Average price will have to take for calculation of brokerage as these two transactions are on the same day.

For Purchase :-

1) Average price = (4.28 + 4.2)/2 = 4.24

2) Total proceed = 4.24 x 2000 = 8480

3) Clearing Fee = 8480 * 0.0003 = 2..544 (RoundUp to 2 decimal) = 2.55

4) Stamp Duty = 8480/1000 = 8.48 (RoundUp to 1 digit) = 9 (subject to minimum RM1)

5) Brokerage(0.4%) = 8480 * 0.004 = 33.92 (subject to minimum brokerage whichever is higher)

6) Nett Purchase ( 2+3+4+5 ) = 8480+2.55+9+33.92 = RM8525.47


For Sales minus proceed with charges instead :-
 
1) Nett Sales ( 2-3-4-5 )
 
 
Greenleaf, with the above Puchase & Sales calculation you will be able to setup one table for your own to gauge your profit & loss..... :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

bought more UOAREITS at 1.27, to further increase exposure to REITs.

小偉 said...

Thanks a lot. :) It is a very helpful post.

For the Purchase, the total fees is RM45.47. So, assume selling all 2000units at RM4.50, the fees of Sales will be (9000*0.004=36)+(9000*0.0003=3)+(RM9 stamp duty)= RM48

This means that when I purchase and sell will need to pay RM45.47 +RM48= RM93.47? Am I right?

From my trading, I found that my fees are only around RM38 when I buy and sell at 0.38%. How come there is a large difference?

Anonymous said...

Bought more UOAREITs at 1.26; Qcapital at 1.02

horse said...

This means that when I purchase and sell will need to pay RM45.47 +RM48= RM93.47? Am I right?

The above is correct.

From my trading, I found that my fees are only around RM38 when I buy and sell at 0.38%. How come there is a large difference?

Not sure about this one, as i said the brokerage fee is nagotiable. Probably yr fee is low, then good for u... :)

Anonymous said...

Market reverse back to positive territory, closed up more than 2pts; Index now is almost highest level in 2009.

Today portfolio cut Protasco stake after ex-for dividend; increase stake on UOAREITS, top holding now; increase also stake on Tower and newly added one more REITs; Quillcapital

REITs core stock
UOAREITs 55%
BsdREITS 35%
TowerREITs 25%
StarREITs 10%
QCapital 10%

Protasco 22.5%
Lonbisc 22.3%

Anonymous said...

horse

Genting SP up another 4sen, to $1.28 today, already on paper profit of more than 30%; if convered back to Msia ringgit; the return is more than 70%; really rewarding indeed :D)

horse said...

hng,

looks like u r embarking on REIT huh...
About Genting SP, yr wife must be very happy... :)
Laughing all the way to Bank huh...

Anonymous said...

horse

Genting SP is highest ever profit margin so far since adopt concentratingg capital on core stock. Time to realize all these paper profit is getting nearer :)

For 2010, index is unlikely to repeat performance of 2009, portfolio capital have so far achieve ROE = 300++%. From next yr, I'll adopt more conservative approach and less day trading to preserve capital and target more moderate growth in capital with at ROE: 50-100%

Anonymous said...

bought Lonbisc at 1.00

Anonymous said...

Today increase further stake on UOAREITs and Lonbisc; cut stake on Prt. Portfolio almost fully invested, with 3 quarter invested in REITs.

REITs core stock
UOAREITs 65%
BsdREITS 35%
TowerREITs 25%
StarREITs 10%
QCapital 10%

Protasco 18.8%
Lonbisc 31.4%

小偉 said...

Thanks for the guide. Now, I understand how to calculate fees. Thanks a lot. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails